Local laws

Moonee Valley’s General Purposes Local Law 2008 (pdf, 173KB) covers a range of community issues. Local laws can be made in response to new legislation or to meet local needs.

Local law permits

You need to complete a Local Law Permit application (pdf, 228KB), a week prior to carrying out any of these activities:

  • Filming
  • Street stalls
  • Charity street collection
  • Charity intersection collection
  • Busking (if the area is within a shopping centre, a permit from us is not required. However, you may need approval from the centre.)

Alcohol restrictions

We have established alcohol restrictions from 9pm-9am in Flemington, Ascot Vale, Moonee Ponds, Essendon, Airport West, Keilor East and Strathmore.

You can view a map of these areas (pdf, 2.38MB) or alternatively hard copies of this map are available at the Civic Centre and our libraries.

The declaration of these new alcohol restriction areas and times were published in the Victoria Government Gazette on 9 December 2010.

Restriction signs have been installed advising that these restrictions will be enforced by Victoria Police.

We have also provided for a 24-hour restriction on those roads in the vicinity of major venues and events such as the Cox Plate, Spring Racing Carnival at Flemington and events at the Showgrounds. A 24-hr restriction also applies to Racecourse Road, Flemington from Bellair Street to Princess Street and includes Pridham Plaza and McCall Reserve (published in the Victoria Government Gazette on 2 October 2014).

There is a ban on drinking or carrying opened containers of alcohol in Area 1 and Area 2 of Moonee Valley. This restriction applies at all times and is enforced by Victoria Police.

The ban does not affect licensed outdoor dining.

For information on alcohol restriction areas, please contact your local police station.


Disposing of rubbish in a public space, footpath, park or street is illegal. If you are caught littering, you could be issued an on the spot fine from Council Officers. For more information on the littering fine, see the Environment Protection Act 1970.

What is litter?

Litter includes any of the following:

  • Cigarette butts
  • Dog poo
  • General and hard rubbish
  • Over-flowing rubbish bins

Report a littering offence to the EPA.

Unsightly property

Owners and tenants of private, commercial and industrial properties must keep their property in a safe and reasonable state.

Poorly kept properties are unsightly and can be a health and fire hazard. For more information about unsightly property contact our Local Laws unit on 9243 8888.

Abandoned vehicles

We will remove and impound abandoned, unregistered or unsafe vehicles from the streets and parks until we find the owner.
We will impound a vehicle 24 hours after an orange sticker has been placed on it, and may dispose of the vehicle if it is not claimed within 21 days with release fees paid.

To report abandoned vehicles, make an online service request or call us on 9243 8888.

If you have an orange abandoned sticker on your vehicle, please contact us immediately on 9243 8888.
Claiming an impounded vehicle

Impounded vehicles will only be released to the owner.

To claim your vehicle, you must bring evidence of ownership such as registration papers and drivers licence. You must pay the accrued fees before the vehicle can be released. 

Burning off

Burning off rubbish, leaves and unwanted items are not permitted in the City of Moonee Valley.

It is illegal under our local laws and may be a nuisance and health risk to neighbours.

Fire prevention

Our officers carry out inspections prior to the summer period, and notices may be issued to remove a fire hazard.

Keep your grass trimmed short to reduce the risk of further spreading a potential fire.


We help the community to remove graffiti from public spaces. Find out more on our graffiti page.

Overhanging trees

If you rent or own a home in Moonee Valley, you must ensure that footpaths next to your property are free of obstructions to pedestrians and traffic.

Overhanging trees and shrubs should not hang lower than 2.4 metres above the footpath and nature strip.

Abandoned shopping trolleys

Shopping Trolleys that are not returned to their owner are considered litter. They can be a hazard to road users and are unsightly in our streets, parks and reserves. 

People are encouraged to report Abandoned Shopping Trolleys in the following ways;

Visit Trolley Tracker or free call 1800 641 497 for the following retailer’s trolleys:

  • Woolsworth/ Safeway
  • Target
  • Big W
  • Dan Murphy's

Visit 1800 TROLLEY, free call 1800 876 553 or email 1800Trolley@coles.com.au for the following retailer's trolleys:

  • Coles
  • Kmart
  • Bunnings
  • Officeworks
  • 1st Choice

Lodge an online request for a service or call us on 9243 8888.

Request for service

You can now request a service relating to local laws online.

Bees and wasps

If you have bees or wasps on private property you are responsible for the removal. You will need to contact a licensed pest controller or apiarists.

Do not attempt to remove it yourself.

If the nest is on council land, in parks, pools or on buildings contact us on 9243 8888 who will organise the removal.

If the bees or wasps are on a light pole, contact:

  • AGL phone 133 000
  • Origin Energy phone 131 260, or
  • Telecommunication Pit Telstra phone 132 200

For more information on bees or wasps contact our Animal Management Team on 9243 8888.

Last updated: Saturday, 7 October 2017, 4:52 AM