Do I need a building permit?
When is a building permit required?
A building permit is generally required for all forms of building work. Check out the building permit fact sheet (pdf, 120KB) for common types of building work that require a building permit.
Note: although a building permit may not be required for some minor work, the owner of a building or land must still comply with building regulations.
You might also need a planning permit for your proposed building work (including fences, antennas, masts, carports, garages and the removal of vegetation).
For more details on the planning process and the permit requirements, call our Statutory Planning Department on 9243 8888 or enquire in person at our Statutory Planning counter at the Civic Centre.
Why obtain a building permit?
Having a building permit ensures that:
- the building contractors are registered and they carry the required insurance
- adequate documentation is prepared to construct your building or alteration
- independent review of building documentation occurs
- key stages of the work are independently inspected
- your building is independently assessed as suitable for occupation.
Who can issue a building permit?
Local councils and private building surveyors can issue building permits, undertake inspections and issue occupancy permits/certificates of final inspections.
Read our building permit system fact sheet (pdf, 120KB) for an overview of the process.
Where can I apply for and obtain a building permit?
You can apply for a building permit from:
- our Building Services team
- local registered building surveyors
- a private building surveyor of your choice
About our services
Our Building Services team can offer you quality building permit and inspection services at affordable prices. If you are thinking of building, call us on 9243 8888 or visit our office to discuss your proposal.
Our officers are experienced, have local knowledge and are committed to providing the best possible service to our customers. We can provide building permits for all types of buildings and also offer advice on building regulatory matters and cost saving methods during design and construction stage.