Plan Melbourne 2017-2050
On 11 March 2017, the revised Plan Melbourne 2017-2050 was released by the Minister for Planning to provide a long-term vision for managing Melbourne’s growth and change until 2050.
Originally released in 2014, Plan Melbourne underwent a ‘refresh’ to ensure that it accurately reflects community and expert priorities and advice. As part of this process, we made a submission (Word, 88KB) on the refresh discussion paper which was endorsed at the Ordinary Meeting on 15 December 2015.
Key differences between Plan Melbourne 2014 and Plan Melbourne 2017 include the following:
- A new Outcome 4, which focuses on preserving Melbourne’s sense of place and identity so that it remains a distinctive and liveable city with quality design and amenity.
- More flexibility so that the plan can be reviewed and updated in line with Infrastructure Victoria’s 30-year infrastructure strategy.
- Inclusion of actions and some initiatives in a separate five-year Implementation Plan.
- Reduction of the number of actions from 334 to 112, through both consolidation of actions and removing those that have been completed since 2014.
- New maps and graphics added and projections updated.
- Revision of the monitoring and reporting framework, including alignment with the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals.
- Setting out the roles of lead and partner agencies including departments, government agencies and councils who will work together to deliver actions.
For more information, please visit the Plan Melbourne website.