Changing or extending a planning permit

If you have an existing planning permit, you have to comply with all the conditions. However, if you would like to make some changes, or need more time, you can apply for an amendment to your planning permit (pdf, 536kb).

What changes can I make?

Planning permits consist of two documents: the permit and the approved plan(s). You can make changes to the permit or the plan(s) or both. For example:

  • you may run a restaurant and wish to change the hours of operation (change to permit)
  • you may be making an extension to your house and decide to change the design (change to plans)

Either way, they are both referred to as an amendment to the planning permit.

Can I extend the length of my permit?

There are many factors that may cause a delay in the commencement of works, or operation. Most permits expire two years from the date of issue unless otherwise specified on the permit. However, if you feel that you need extra time, you can apply for an extension to your permit.

Any application to extend the length of a permit must be made before the permit expires (see permit for expiry date). To extend the length of a permit, you must:

  1. apply for the planning permit extension in writing - addressing the Statutory Planning unit
  2. clearly explain time extension - provide information on how long you want to extend the permit for and why
  3. pay the relevant fee – see the fee schedule (pdf, 66kb).

Applying for an amendment

There are two main types of amendments that we consider:

  1. Section 72 Amendment – for minor changes to the actual planning permit, permit conditions and/or plan(s).

    These amendments follow the same procedure as the planning permit application process. For more information on these steps, see our overview of the planning permit process guide.

    Note: We cannot amend this permit if it was issued by the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT).

  2. Secondary Consent – for minor changes to plan(s) only, where a provision for change is given in the permit conditions.

    For example, some planning permits include conditions which end with the phrase “…must not be altered without the written consent of the Responsible Authority.” This means that you can apply in writing for secondary consent to make minor changes.

Preparing an amendment application

An application to amend a planning permit must be made in writing. The written request must clearly identify the amendments sought (including clearly marked amended plans if applicable) and specify the reasons why you wish to make the amendment(s).

To ensure that your application can be processed quickly and efficiently, it is important that all the relevant information is included.

Your amendment application should consist of:

  1. A completed planning permit amendment application form

    Download a Section 72 Amendment form or grab a copy in person at the Statutory Planning counter at the Civic Centre.

    There is no standard form for a Secondary Consent Amendment application, submit a written cover letter outlining your intention to apply for a Secondary Consent Amendment.

  2. A recent Certificate of Title

    A Certificate of Title is a formal legal record about a particular piece of land. It contains basic information about the land including current ownership. The copy of the Certificate of Title must be: clear, legible, complete and obtained within the last three (3) months.

    If the land is covered by a Restrictive Covenant or Section 173 agreement, a copy will also need to be provided.

    A Restrictive Covenant is a private agreement between land owners that may restrict the way land may be used and developed. This will be registered on the Certificate of Title.

    If you do not have a copy of the Certificate of Title, you can obtain a copy:

    Online: At Land Information Centre
    In person: Land Information Centre
    Level 10, 570 Bourke Street
    Telephone 8636 2831


  3. Payment of fee

    Refer to the fee schedule (pdf, 66kb) to determine what fee you need to pay to lodge your application.

    Note: the fee needs to be paid by cheque or money order and should be made payable to the City of Moonee Valley.

  4. Revised plans (if applicable)

    It is important that you provide revised plans in the same layout as those that have already been approved, and clearly mark where the amendments have been made.

Lodging an amendment application

You can lodge your amendment application:

By post:  Moonee Valley City Council
Statutory Planning unit
PO Box 126
Moonee Valley, VIC 3039
In person: At the Civic Centre

For more information

About planning amendments, call our Statutory Planning unit on 9243 8888 or enquire in person at Statutory Counter at the Civic Centre.

Last updated: Thursday, 1 June 2017, 11:07 AM