Health business

The following businesses must be registered under the Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008:

Hairdressers, Beauty Parlours, Tattooists, Body Piercing, Any Skin Penetration, Colonic Irrigation, Prescribed accommodation, Residential accommodation, Hotels/Motels, Hostels,
Student Dormitories, Holiday Camps and Rooming Houses.

The following information contains requirement details for the different types of health business.

Personal care and body art

Businesses offering personal care or body art – including hairdressing, beauty parlour work, tattooing, ear piercing, colonic irrigation or any other process involving the penetration of the skin must be fully aware of the potential dangers of the procedures and take precaution to minimise the likelihood of infection.

These businesses must also follow the health guidelines for personal care and body art industries.

Accommodation and boarding

Any business running a motel, boarding house, rooming house with temporary or shared accommodation, must follow the Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008 and Public Health and Wellbeing Regulations 2009.

Opening a new business or altering your existing premises

Prior to commencing works on setting up a new business or alterations to an existing business you should complete a submission of plans application form and submit two copies of the premises floor plans to us.

Check the Premise Design Guidelines (pdf, 289KB) or design suggestions. These guidelines should be incorporated into your plans for submission.

A planning permit may be required for the location of your business. Call our planning unit on 9243 9111 to check if you need a permit.

Transferring or buying an existing premise

If you are transferring or buying an existing premise, you should request a Condition of Premise Inspection report (pdf, 68KB) to make sure you are aware of any outstanding orders or structural requirements placed on the business before settling in.

To transfer your business you must complete and return a transfer of registration application form along with the appropriate fee.

Note: Businesses who conduct only low risk activities such as hairdressing, barbers, and cosmetic makeup, cannot transfer the business and must arrange for an ongoing registration by contacting us on 9240 8810.

Before you open a shop

You can operate your business once you have:

  • had a final inspection completed by an Environmental Health Officer
  • been provided with an application for registration
  • paid for your registration

General information

More information

If you would also like assistance with establishing your business or want to consider options as to how to be more sustainable in your business, contact the Economic Development or Environment units.

For more information, contact us on 9243 8888.

Last updated: Friday, 16 June 2017, 4:12 AM