Local laws

Moonee Valley’s General Purposes Local Law 2008 (pdf, 173KB) covers a range of community issues. Local laws can be made in response to new legislation or to meet local needs.

Local Law Review

Council is currently reviewing and drafting a new Local Law and will be seeking feedback from the community. Read the Draft Activities and General Amenities Local Law 2018 (docx, 92KB). Please also see the Local Law Community Impact Statement (docx, 28KB).

The review will help us ensure that our proposed Activities and General Amenities Local Law meets the needs of the Moonee Valley community and is relevant for the next 10 years.

Make sure you get involved and provide feedback on the issues that are important to you. The Local Law protects everything that you love most about Moonee Valley which is why we want to hear from you.

Public consultation will take place from 8 March to 6 April 2018 after the proposed Local Law was approved by Council at its Ordinary Meeting on 27 February 2018.

During consultation there will be opportunities for locals to submit feedback in writing or online, complete a survey, or be heard at Council.

Have your say

From 8 March to 6 April 2018 you can provide feedback by:

Drop-in sessions:

Meet one-on-one with our officers to find out more and discuss the draft policy and guidelines.

When: Wednesday, 21 March, 5.30pm-7.30pm

When: Wednesday, 28 March, 5.30pm-7.30pm

Where: Council Chambers, Moonee Valley Civic Centre, 9 Kellaway Avenue, Moonee Ponds

For more information, contact our City Compliance team on 8325 1774 or locallawreview@mvcc.vic.gov.au

If you would like a copy of one of the incorporated documents listed in the draft policy, please email locallawreview@mvcc.vic.gov.au.

Mobile Food Vehicle Policy

Council has endorsed the draft Mobile Food Vehicle Policy and Guidelines 2017 at its Ordinary Meeting on 12 December 2017.

The draft policy and draft guidelines are now on public exhibition so community members can submit any feedback or suggestions.

There is currently no policy or guidelines for issuing permits for mobile food vehicles so this will be the first of its kind in Moonee Valley.

The draft policy will allow a permit to be issued on Council-managed land for the purposes of conducting a commercial or community activity where:

a) It is located on open space.

b) Council is satisfied that:

  • The local community derive a benefit
  • The use of Council managed land does not materially affect local residents, local business or the community generally
  • The land use is consistent with the zoning, reservation and/or purpose of the land

c) The operator satisfies all necessary regulatory and guideline requirements such as planning permits, traffic management, local laws and environmental health.

The policy will not apply to activities that:

  • fall under Council’s Footpath Trading Policy 2015
  • are at a Council-approved event

How to submit feedback

The draft policy and guidelines will be open for submissions from 14 February to 14 March 2018.  

You can provide feedback from 14 February to 14 March 2018 by:

  • attending a drop-in session with our City Compliance Officers
  • emailing MobileFoodVehicle@mvcc.vic.gov.au
  • mailing City Compliance, Moonee Valley City Council, PO Box 126, Moonee Ponds 3039

Drop-in sessions:

Meet one-on-one with our officers to find out more and discuss the draft policy and guidelines.

When: Monday, 19 February, 10am-12noon
Thursday, 8 March, 9am-11am

Where: Pascoe Vale Meeting Room, Moonee Valley Civic Centre, 9 Kellaway Avenue, Moonee Ponds

Read the draft documents: 

For more information, contact our City Compliance team on 8325 1774 or MobileFoodVehicle@mvcc.vic.gov.au 

Local law permits

You need to complete a Local Law Permit application (pdf, 228KB), at least 10 days prior to carrying out any of these activities:

  • Street stalls
  • Charity street collection
  • Charity intersection collection
  • Busking (if the area is within a shopping centre, a permit from us is not required. However, you may need approval from the centre.)

Filming in Moonee Valley

With stunning parks and reserves, quirky cafes and incredible historical sites, Moonee Valley is bursting with potential film locations. However, if you’re filming on public land, a permit may be required.

Our City Compliance department will be your single point of contact during the application process.

Do I need a permit to film? 

A wide range of productions may require a filming permit (pdf, 88KB), including:

  • student
  • commercial (Council requires a film permit for all commercial filming activities conducted in public space)
  • community
  • not-for-profit

A filming permit ensures, among other things that public space is used safely and disruptions to residents and the public is kept to a minimum. Applicant will require a minimum 12 weeks’ notice to Council prior to any filming commencing. For more information contact us on 9243 8888.

What steps do I need to take to get a film permit?

Before you apply for your Council film permit, you need to:

  1. Organise Public Liability Insurance (minimum cover $10 million).
  2. Apply for a Road Occupancy Permit a minimum of ten working days prior to filming (if parking is required).
  3. Contact relevant external agencies for any additional approvals before filming begins.
  4. You must complete the Police Filming Notification Form if your filming involves use of firearms, special effects, stunts etc.
  5. Contact local residents and businesses regarding your intention to film (including your contact details) a minimum of five days before filming starts.
  6. Complete Council’s film permit application (pdf, 88KB) form and attach all supporting documents
  7. Submit to Council via email or post approval a minimum of ten days prior to filming.

Phone: 9243 8888
Email: council@mvcc.vic.gov.au
Post: City Compliance, Moonee Valley City Council, PO Box 126, Moonee Ponds VIC 3039

Please note: Some sensitive locations may require detailed discussion over a period of time prior to a filming application being submitted.

How much do film permits cost?

We do not charge a processing fee for film permits, however fees apply for the use of some council resources including:

Filming in parks:

  • $625 (half day 7am-12 noon)
  • $1,240 (full day 7am-5pm)

Road Occupancy Permit - $126 (application fee) and $1 per sqm per day.

How will I know if my application is approved?

We will notify you in writing, via post or email, including terms and conditions that apply and any associated fees.

When can I start filming?

You can start filming as soon as your permit is approved.

What happens when filming is finished?

When filming is over, the location must be left in the same condition as it was found. If it has been changed or damaged in any way, the production company is responsible for restoring it to its original condition and paying for any repairs.

Where can I get more information?

  • You can call our City Compliance Department on 9243 8888
  • Full details of filmmaker responsibilities can be found in Film Victoria’s Victorian Screen Industry Code of Conduct.
  • Visit VicRoads for more information. You may require a permit from them if you are filming on arterial roads or using specialist filming vehicles etc.
  • If filming is likely to affect public transport in any way, you must submit an Event Notification Form to Public Transport Victoria.

Alcohol restrictions

We have established alcohol restrictions from 9pm-9am in Flemington, Ascot Vale, Moonee Ponds, Essendon, Airport West, Keilor East and Strathmore.

You can view a map of these areas (pdf, 2.38MB) or alternatively hard copies of this map are available at the Civic Centre and our libraries.

The declaration of these new alcohol restriction areas and times were published in the Victoria Government Gazette on 9 December 2010.

Restriction signs have been installed advising that these restrictions will be enforced by Victoria Police.

We have also provided for a 24-hour restriction on those roads in the vicinity of major venues and events such as the Cox Plate, Spring Racing Carnival at Flemington and events at the Showgrounds. A 24-hr restriction also applies to Racecourse Road, Flemington from Bellair Street to Princess Street and includes Pridham Plaza and McCall Reserve (published in the Victoria Government Gazette on 2 October 2014).

There is a ban on drinking or carrying opened containers of alcohol in Area 1 and Area 2 of Moonee Valley. This restriction applies at all times and is enforced by Victoria Police.

The ban does not affect licensed outdoor dining.

For information on alcohol restriction areas, please contact your local police station.


Disposing of rubbish in a public space, footpath, park or street is illegal. If you are caught littering, you could be issued an on the spot fine from Council Officers. For more information on the littering fine, see the Environment Protection Act 1970.

What is litter?

Litter includes any of the following:

  • Cigarette butts
  • Dog poo
  • General and hard rubbish
  • Over-flowing rubbish bins

Report a littering offence to the EPA.

Unsightly property

Owners and tenants of private, commercial and industrial properties must keep their property in a safe and reasonable state.

Poorly kept properties are unsightly and can be a health and fire hazard. For more information about unsightly property contact our Local Laws unit on 9243 8888.

Abandoned vehicles

We will remove and impound abandoned, unregistered or unsafe vehicles from the streets and parks until we find the owner.
We will impound a vehicle 24 hours after an orange sticker has been placed on it, and may dispose of the vehicle if it is not claimed within 21 days with release fees paid.

To report abandoned vehicles, make an online service request or call us on 9243 8888.

If you have an orange abandoned sticker on your vehicle, please contact us immediately on 9243 8888.
Claiming an impounded vehicle

Impounded vehicles will only be released to the owner.

To claim your vehicle, you must bring evidence of ownership such as registration papers and drivers licence. You must pay the accrued fees before the vehicle can be released. 

Burning off

Burning off rubbish, leaves and unwanted items are not permitted in the City of Moonee Valley.

It is illegal under our local laws and may be a nuisance and health risk to neighbours.

Fire prevention

Our officers carry out inspections prior to the summer period, and notices may be issued to remove a fire hazard.

Keep your grass trimmed short to reduce the risk of further spreading a potential fire.


We help the community to remove graffiti from public spaces. Find out more on our graffiti page.

Overhanging trees

If you rent or own a home in Moonee Valley, you must ensure that footpaths next to your property are free of obstructions to pedestrians and traffic.

Overhanging trees and shrubs should not hang lower than 2.4 metres above the footpath and nature strip.

Abandoned shopping trolleys

Shopping Trolleys that are not returned to their owner are considered litter. They can be a hazard to road users and are unsightly in our streets, parks and reserves. 

People are encouraged to report Abandoned Shopping Trolleys in the following ways;

Visit Trolley Tracker or free call 1800 641 497 for the following retailer’s trolleys:

  • Woolsworth/ Safeway
  • Target
  • Big W
  • Dan Murphy's

Visit 1800 TROLLEY, free call 1800 876 553 or email 1800Trolley@coles.com.au for the following retailer's trolleys:

  • Coles
  • Kmart
  • Bunnings
  • Officeworks
  • 1st Choice

Lodge an online request for a service or call us on 9243 8888.

Request for service

You can now request a service relating to local laws online.

Bees and wasps

If you have bees or wasps on private property you are responsible for the removal. You will need to contact a licensed pest controller or apiarists.

Do not attempt to remove it yourself.

If the nest is on council land, in parks, pools or on buildings contact us on 9243 8888 who will organise the removal.

If the bees or wasps are on a light pole, contact:

  • AGL phone 133 000
  • Origin Energy phone 131 260, or
  • Telecommunication Pit Telstra phone 132 200

For more information on bees or wasps contact our Animal Management Team on 9243 8888.

Last updated: Tuesday, 19 June 2018, 5:30 AM