Rates payments

How rates are calculated

Once we decide how much in total we need to collect in rates this figure is then divided by the value of all properties in the municipality to get the ‘rate in the dollar’.

The rate in the dollar is then multiplied by your property value and this is used to determine what your rates bill should be.

In a revaluation year (every second year) some property values increase by lot, some by a little and some may even decrease.

No matter what property values do, we only collect the amount of money in rates we determined when the budget was adopted.

The movement in your property value helps us to determine what each person pays to make up the total amount we collect.

Rates charges

The rate or charge indicated in your rate notice is typically made up of the following four elements:

General Rate

A rate based on the value of your land and building(s). This value is known as Capital Improved Value (CIV). We may charge a differential rate for similar types of properties.

Municipal Charge

A charge applied to every rateable assessment in the City of Moonee Valley, including vacant land. This charge covers some of our administrative costs.

Garbage charge

You will note that you are no longer paying an environment charge. Instead we have adopted a fairer, user-pays garbage charge. If you currently have your garbage collected by a private company you will not be charged the garbage charge.

Non-Residential Vacant Land Properties

In the 2016/17 budget Council made the decision to remove the Non-Residential Vacant Land Properties and instead include them within the Non-Residential Properties differential. The category was first established to discourage land banking however, very few properties have fallen within it for more than a two year period.

Optional green waste service

Households that choose to use the fortnightly collection of a green waste service will be charged $71.80. Eligible pensioners who already receive the State Government rate rebate will be charged $43.60.

We have adopted the following differential rates and charges for the 2017/18 financial year:

Type of class or land  2016/17 cents/$CIV  2017/18 cents/$CIV  Change 
Residential Properties 




Non-Residential Properties 




Cultural and Recreational Properties 





Type of charge 2016/17 $ per property 2017/18 $ per property Change





Garbage Charge 




Green Waste services charge 




Green Waste services charge (pensioner) 




Rates due dates

Paying in full

Please note there is no provision to pay in full on 15 February.

Paying in instalments:

  • First instalment is due: 30 September 2017
  • Second instalment is due: 30 November 2017
  • Third instalment is due: 28 February 2018
  • Final instalment is due: 31 May 2018

Paying your rates

The EasyWay Payment Plan allows ratepayers to make payments via:

  • an Australia Post outlet,
  • Bpay
  • credit or debit card over the phone
  • online
  • in person at the Civic Centre 

Requesting a rate notice

The 2017/2018 Annual Rate and Valuation Notice will be posted out progressively from mid-August 2017 to mid-September 2017.

Did you know you can register to receive your notices electronically? If you have a notice handy log on and sign up. Register your details and the next rates notice will be conveniently delivered to your nominated email address.

Or Set up BPay View with your Banking institution. BPay View sends bills and statements straight to the same online or mobile bank you use to pay them. With convenient email, SMS or bank message reminders and secure online or mobile access, BPay View makes it easy to pay on time, every time!

If you do not receive your notice, call 9243 8888 to confirm your current mailing address and ask for a copy of your notice or email council@mvcc.vic.gov.au.

Please note that we do not accept non-receipt of a Rate Notice as a valid excuse for late or not paying your rates and charges.

Difficulties paying rates

If you are in financial difficulty and have been unable to make your payment, please call Citizens Services on 9243 8888 to work out a payment plan. 

You can also get some free financial assistance and advice on the Money Help website or by calling them on 1800 007 007.

Overdue charges

Overdue rates and charges will attract penalty interest from the due date of the unpaid instalment and only for the instalment amount that was due. Penalty interest is charged at 10 per cent per annum as fixed under the Penalty Interest Rate Act 1983.

Interest Policy

Interest will be charged on all outstanding rates and charges if not paid by the instalment due dates, without exception. Interest will be charged at 10 per cent per annum as fixed under the Penalty Interest Rate Act 1983.

Applying for an exemption:

We will consider a ratepayers request to have the interest waived if there are exceptional circumstances involved.

A ratepayer is required to write to us stating the reasons why the interest should be waived and to include any documentation that assists their request.

The following are not acceptable reasons for us to waive the interest charged for late or non-payment:

  • I did not receive my rates or instalment notice
  • Postal delays

It is a ratepayer's responsibility to make sure that rates are paid by the required due dates.

Overdue 2016/2017 rates

We are still following up outstanding rates and charges from 2016/2017. Arrears still accrue interest and if you have not paid your rates, you are liable for further legal action. A warning notice about arrears is specified on your annual rate notice.

We will refer ratepayers who have not paid their rates in full, and who have not contacted us to make an arrangement, to our Debt Collection Company to recover the amounts owing.

If you have received a letter from our solicitors, ML&C Collections, please respond as soon as possible to avoid legal action. As the ratepayer you will be responsible for payment of any additional charges incurred.

Pension rebate

As from 1 July 2017 the maximum annual municipal rates concession amount will be $223.80 and Fire Services Property Levy rebate $50. We provide an additional $20 for each eligible pension application (one per household maximum).

You may be entitled to a pension rebate if you hold any of the following:

  • Pensioner Concession Card (PCC)
  • DVA Gold Repatriation Health Care Card – TPI
  • DVA Gold Repatriation Health Care Card – War Widow

See which cards are eligible.

How to claim for a pension rebate:

  • complete a Municipal Rates Concession Application Form make sure the name and address on the card are the same as on your application form
  • make sure the property listed in your application is your primary place of residence
  • supply a photocopy of your card, front and back

Return the application form along with all attachments to:

Moonee Valley City Council
PO Box 126
Moonee Ponds VIC 3039

Or scan documents and email to council@mvcc.vic.gov.au

Change of name/address details

If you would like to update your name or mailing address details we require notification in writing.

To help us update your ownership details because the title is different to what is shown on our records please fill in the change of ownership form (pdf, 87KB).

To help us update your name change due to marriage, etc. please fill in the change of name form (pdf, 26KB) or the change of address form (pdf, 45KB) if your mailing address has changed and email it to our rates department. Alternatively you can fax it to us on 9377 2100 or mail it to PO Box 126, Moonee Ponds 3039.

Land Information Certificates

Apply for a land information certificate online.

The cost of Land Information Certificates is $25.90.

More information

For more information on rates, call us on 9243 8888.

Last updated: Friday, 23 February 2018, 12:06 AM