Responding to a planning permit application

The way people use and develop their properties can have an effect on surrounding residents and the wider community as a whole. This is why the planning permit process is in place and why people have the right to comment on a planning permit application before a decision is made.

Public notification of a planning permit

When a planning application is lodged, and it is deemed that it may have an effect on neighbouring properties, we will inform surrounding residents in one or all of the following ways:

  • direct mail notification
  • on-site signage
  • advertisements in the local newspaper

Note: certain types of applications are exempt from public notification depending on the planning controls that apply to a particular site.

Why should I comment?

The Victorian planning system is set up to ensure that you have the opportunity to comment on a planning permit that may affect you, before a decision is made. It is a good idea to have a look at the proposal to assess whether it may have an affect on the enjoyment of your property.

Think about how the proposed changes will affect you personally. For example, if someone wanted to build a block of units next door to your single level house some possible negative impacts on you could include, privacy issues, overshadowing, concerns about noise, and increased difficulty in finding a car park.

How do I comment?

If you have a reasonable concern about the proposal you must lodge an objection with us in writing in order for your concern to be considered before a decision is made.

You may use the Objection/submission to grant a planning permit form to write your objection.

For more information

About planning in Moonee Valley or about making comment on a planning permit plans, call our Statutory Planning unit on 9243 8888 or enquire in person at the Statutory Planning counter at the Civic Centre.

Last updated: Tuesday, 30 January 2018, 1:56 AM