Personal training

Spring is a popular time of year for us to shake off the cobwebs and get moving in our local parks. During this time many personal trainers help residents kick-start their exercise routines.

Exercising in our parks is a great way to get fit, but how can you ensure you have a qualified and reputable trainer?

Thankfully the answer is simple: if your trainer has a permit to train in our parks, then you’ve got a qualified and reputable trainer.

We make sure that all personal trainers with a permit to train in our parks have the right training and qualifications before their permit is issued. This includes making sure their first aid qualifications are up to date.

So this year when you’re choosing a personal trainer be sure to ask the question, "Do you have a permit to train in this park?".

When is a permit required?

Personal trainers running group fitness sessions with four or more participants will need a personal training permit.

Trainers can reserve training venues in Moonee Valley by calling our Sport and Recreation team on 9243 8888 or emailing

How can I apply for a permit?

Personal trainers can apply by filling out an application form (docx, 216KB) and sending it to:

Moonee Valley City Council 
Sport and Recreation Department
PO Box 126
Moonee Ponds VIC 3039

All applications must be submitted with a completed Job Safety Analysis (pdf, 18KB) worksheet.

We offer a number of permit categories to meet the needs of personal trainers, they are:

  • Category A: Regular Commercial User for trainers conducting three or more sessions per week ($730 seasonal / $1220 annual)
  • Category B: Regular Commercial User for trainers conducting less than three sessions per week ($317.50)
  • Category C: Casual Commerical User for trainers conducting one-off training sessions ($16.25 per hour)
  • Crown Land Permit: for trainers conducting sessions on Crown Land ($289)
  • Business Permit: enabling businesses to have more than one trainer deliver group fitness sessions ($63.50)

For residents

The personal training policy (pdf, 40KB) is put in place so everyone can have access to a safe and healthy environment. If personal training activities are affecting your residential space, call the Sport and Recreation team on 9243 8888.

For sports clubs

If you see trainers using your oval, please contact the Sport and Recreation team on 9243 8888.


For more information on personal training in Moonee Valley, call the Sport and Recreation team on 9243 8888 or email

Last updated: Saturday, 22 April 2017, 4:01 AM