Frequently asked questions about volunteering

Below is a list of the most common questions asked by people who are considering volunteering for us at Moonee Valley City Council.

Is there a chance that I might gain paid work in the organisation if I volunteer first?

We are unable to guarantee that volunteering with Council will result in paid employment. 

Can I get a reference?

Your volunteer supervisor can provide you with a statement of service which details your roles and responsibilities and hours as a volunteer, however it is not Council’s policy to give written references. Your volunteer supervisor is able to give a verbal reference over the phone.

Will I be paid?

No, volunteer work is unpaid.

Am I guaranteed a volunteer position if I apply?

No, in order for the experience to be a positive one for both yourself and the organisation it is important that we match your skills, knowledge and motivation against the requirements of the volunteer position which may not always be possible/available.

Can I be guaranteed the number of hours I need to meet Centrelink / Work for the Dole requirements?

No, unfortunately due to the types of volunteer roles available we are not able to guarantee the amount of hours that may be required by Centrelink.

Do I have to have a Working with Children Check?

For certain positions it’s required by legislation that volunteers have to undertake a Working with Children Check. Working with Children Checks are available to volunteers without charge. Volunteers will be required to provide a passport photo. A requirement for a Working with Children Check will be included in the volunteer role description.

Do I have to have a Police Check?

For certain positions volunteers are required to undertake a National Police Check as part of our duty of care to protect our service clients. There is no cost to volunteers. The requirement for a Police Check will be included in volunteer position information. 

Is there someone supporting me as I volunteer?

All Council volunteers are allocated a supervisor in the area they are undertaking work. Supervisors provide on the job training, sound guidance and direction to make it easy and enjoyable to carry out their volunteering work. 

Can I undertake my high school community service or Duke of Edinburgh Award (DoE) volunteer requirements through Council’s Volunteering Program?

No. Due to time commitment and insurance requirements, our volunteering program is not suitable for school community service or Duke of Edinburgh requirements. We suggest referring to your school’s DoE Program Coordinator for advice on suitable opportunities, or contacting a Volunteer Support Organisation such as Volunteering Victoria or Volunteer West to ask for information about specialised opportunities for young people.

What if I have further questions?

For more information contact Volunteer Services on 9243 8888 or email

Last updated: Friday, 26 May 2017, 6:16 AM