Cat ownership

How many cats can I have?

If you live in a house or flat you are allowed to keep:
  • four cats under three months old
  • two cats over three months old

If you wish to keep more cats, you will need to apply for a permit (pdf, 55KB).


All cats must be microchipped before registration. You can get a proof of microchipping from the vet or from the supplier of your pet's microchip. Microchipping is inexpensive because it is a one off cost that protects your cat for life.

Desexing your cat

There are many benefits of desexing your cat:
  • They live longer, healthier lives and are less likely to suffer from anti-social behaviour.
  • It eliminates 'heat' cycles in female cats, and male cats are less likely to mark their territory, fight and yowl.
  • Owners pay lower pet registration fees.
  • Desexed cats are also less likely to wander, run away or get into fights, reducing the instances of injuries.

The best time to desex your cat is when you get your cat, or at three months of age. This can avoid accidental litters. Desexing can be less stressful for kittens than for older cats.

Make sure any cats you buy or adopt are desexed before taking them home.

Find out about desexing vouchers for concession card holders.

Cat curfew

A cat curfew applies within the City of Moonee Valley. The curfew requires all cats to be kept confined to the owner’s property between sunset and sunrise. It aims to reduce the annoyance of stray cats to neighbours as well as decreasing the possibility of cats becoming harmed at night. 

The urban environment can be a dangerous place for cats at night. For example they can be run over, attacked by dogs, tormented by people, injured in cat fights and pick up nasty diseases. Cats also present a significant threat to local wildlife.

Keeping cats in at night will also help reduce unwanted cat litters, barking dogs, and cat waste in neighbours’ gardens. Contrary to popular belief, cats don't have to roam. Cats can be very happy and healthy if kept safely inside the home at night or alternatively in a cat enclosure.

There are various options available to residents for confining a cat on the owner’s property:

  • Setting up a cat enclosure (not a cage), where a cat can play and sleep at night without endangering themselves or wildlife.
  • Using cat proof fencing that can be as simple as placing a plastic tube over the top of the fence.  Where trees or hedges are involved the use of bird netting may help.
  • Simply feeding a cat at night as an incentive for it to go inside is also another option.

In an effort to assist residents in dealing with cat trespassing, and as part of our cat management program cat cages can be borrowed by residents free of charge.

If you are experiencing on-going issues with stray or roaming cats at your property, contact our Local Laws team on 9243 8888 to discuss your options and the possible placement of a cat trap on your property.

Lost registration tags

If your cat has lost its registration tag a replacement can be posted to you.

Call us on 9243 8888 or collect it in person at 9 Kellaway Avenue, Moonee Ponds.

Stray cats

We encourage you to give unwanted cats to us or the Lost Dogs Home and Cat Shelter rather than abandoning them. Abandoned cats can be annoying to other residents and contribute to the overpopulation of cats.

Do not to feed stray cats, you can either report them to us or take full ownership of them, including microchipping and registering them.

Last updated: Monday, 23 April 2018, 10:19 AM