Parking fines

We implement and enforce parking restrictions in the City of Moonee Valley.

Parking restrictions are implemented to:

  • facilitate traffic flow
  • protect residential parking
  • maintain a turnover of vehicles in retail areas
  • ensure safety, particularly in areas around schools

Parking fines are issued to vehicles that do not adhere to parking restrictions.

How to pay a fine

Phone Make a credit card payment on our secure phone payments line on 1300 738 574 (open 24 hours).
Online Make a credit card payment on our parking payments page.
In person Make a cash, cheque, EFTPOS or credit card payment at the Civic Centre at 9 Kellaway Avenue, Moonee Ponds.

Attach a cheque with your parking notice and mail it to PO Box 126, Moonee Ponds VIC 3039.

All cheques must be made payable to City of Moonee Valley.

Receipts are not issued for payments made by mail, unless specifically requested.

Please note: If you do not pay a parking fine or take any action within 28 days after the date of issue, you may incur further costs.

Appealing a parking fine

If you are issued with a parking fine, you can apply to have the case reviewed.

All fines can only be reviewed once and your appeals will be reviewed on merit. For more information about appealing for parking fines, see the Infringements Act 2006.

We may consider withdrawing an infringement notice under the following circumstances:

  • the driver had a medical emergency
  • the vehicle has broken down

Supporting evidence is to be provided by the person or organisation that assisted you. Statutory declarations are not sufficient supporting evidence. Other unusual circumstances will be considered on merit.

The following are not considered valid reasons for the appeal of a parking fine notice:

  • not seeing parking sign or reading only part of sign
  • not noticing sign or restriction has changed
  • not having change or leaving the vehicle to get coins to put in parking meters
  • running late or being in a hurry
  • being delayed at an appointment
  • stopping for a short time in prohibited areas, for example stopping in a ‘no stopping’ area to pick up or drop off passengers or goods or to answer a mobile phone
  • running out of petrol

Other factors:

  • Faulty parking meters: If a faulty parking meter prevents you from making payment for parking, there must be a record of you reporting the machine as faulty. The infringement notice must be sent in with a record of the reference number issued on the date of the fault.
  • Incorrectly issued notice: If a notice is, in Council’s opinion, technically incorrect it will be withdrawn.
  • Extreme financial hardship: Drivers who are in a state of extreme financial hardship and have supporting documentation from a welfare agency can apply for a parking fine to be reviewed. Each case will be assessed on merit. Alternatively, you may request a payment extension from Council.
  • Alternative driver: Responsibility for fines incurred by a vehicle ultimately rest with the vehicle owner. The owner must nominate the driver responsible for the vehicle within 28 days of the offence. This can be done by following the instructions on the back of the notice. The parking fine will be reissued to the nominated driver.
  • Contesting the fine: Infringements must be appealed in writing to be reviewed, please use the attached form. Infringement notices can only be reviewed once. Most internal reviews will be completed within 14 days, however the process may take up to 90 days or longer if additional information is required.

How do I appeal a parking fine?

In writing:

The Appeals Officer
Parking Control and Local Laws Unit
Moonee Valley City Council
PO Box 126
Moonee Ponds 3039

Via email:

Please include the following details:

  • Your name, address and phone number
  • Registration number
  • The infringement number
  • Date of offence
  • A detailed explanation
  • Any supporting evidence


The review usually takes up to 15 working days. However, it could take up to 90 days if we need more information. We will inform you of our decision in writing.

Court hearings

You can choose to have your case dealt with in the Magistrates' Court by notifying us in writing to the above address.

Last updated: Saturday, 19 May 2018, 12:01 AM