Sending food waste back to earth
Food scraps, coffee grounds and leftovers can now be included in green lid bins throughout Moonee Valley, reducing the amount of waste going to landfill.
Food scraps can be placed directly in the bin, or you can wrap them in one sheet of newspaper or paper towelling.
Garden materials and food scraps will then be treated and made into compost and mulch and soil that can be used in agriculture, horticulture, community parks and gardens.
To help you sort your food scraps, we can also provide a kitchen caddy free of charge, simply call us on 9243 8888.
What can and can't go in your green-lid bin
- Bread, rice, pasta and cereal
- Flowers, rose prunings and other thorny plants
- Food scraps (cooked or uncooked)
- Fruit and vegetable scraps
- Garden prunings
- Grass clippings
- Noxious weeds, ivy, bamboo and creepers
- Paper and cardboard (including shredded paper)
- Paper towel and tissues
- Small logs, branches and twigs (no larger than 100mm x 300mm)
- Tea leaves, tea bags and coffee grounds
- Timber (unpainted, unstained)
- Plastic bags (including biodegradable bags)
- Plastic wrapping (eg. cling wrap)
- Household garbage
- Liquids (eg. cooking oil)
- Treated or painted timber, laminates and MDF
- Large branches or logs
What happens to the garden and food waste after it’s collected?
The collected garden and food waste will be taken to the organics recycling facility at Bulla.
The facility will transform garden and food waste into valuable compost, mulches and soil products. These products can then be used in agriculture and horticulture.
We use some of these products in our beautiful parks and gardens, and residents can pick up some free compost at the Moonee Valley Transfer Station.
Don’t have a green-lid bin? Apply for one today!
Apply for a 240L green-lid bin for your garden and food waste by completing a short form.
If you’re renting and would like a green-lid bin, please contact your landlord or leasing agent to request for the ratepayer to organise a bin for you.
Did you know that you can use the free SustainMe app to find out what you can and cannot put in your waste, recycling and green bins in Moonee Valley? You can also find your bin collection, re-new, hard waste and bundled green waste collection days.
The SustainMe app can also remind you when your bin night is so you never miss a collection.