Council calls on Minister to deliver benefits over level crossing removal

Tuesday, 13 February 2018

Moonee Valley City Council has called on the Minister for Public Transport, Jacinta Allen, to urgently meet with the Mayor and Chief Executive Officer to discuss the impacts of the Buckley Street level crossing removal project.

Council also voted at the 13 February meeting not to pursue legal action on this matter due to the significant risk of costs and liability it would put on ratepayers.

Moonee Valley Mayor, Cr John Sipek said Council had been in contact with the Minister’s office and they have agreed to meet as early as tomorrow.

“While I’m disappointed that the State Government had signed contracts for the project with so many questions still remaining about the design and traffic impacts of the project, I’m determined to get the best outcome for the community.

“Since the project was announced, Council has fought at every step of the way for a superior rail under road design and we gave serious consideration to taking legal action over the State Governments lack of transparency and community consultation over this project.

“But the reality is with contracts signed and works underway that legal action was unlikely to stop the project from going ahead and could potentially end up costing ratepayers hundreds of thousands of dollars with no tangible benefit.

“I’m looking forward to working with the Minister to get some decent outcomes on this project.

“Issues with the Mount Alexander Road roundabout as well as access for people with mobility issues, pedestrians and cyclists all need to be dealt with.

“I also want assurances that the Rose and Russell Street traders who will be heavily impacted by the construction will be supported,” he said.

Media enquiries:
Siobhan Coughlan, A/Coordinator Media and Issues
Phone: 03 9243 1645; Mobile: 0419 507 339; Email: media@mvcc.vic.gov.au  

Last updated: Sunday, 11 November 2018, 10:16 PM