Home support for people over 65

A home support assessment may be organised if you believe that some assistance with daily tasks will enable you to remain living independently at home and safely in the community. 

You may be eligible for services under the Commonwealth Home Support Programme if you are:

  • 65 years or older, or 50 years or older and identify as an Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander person
  • still living at home
  • in need of assistance at home to continue living independently

If you think you need a Home Support Assessment, you can contact the My Aged Care contact centre on 1800 200 422. The contact centre staff will ask for your personal information and contact details, about what services you are seeking and some initial questions around your current circumstances.

If you need help to contact My Aged Care you can contact our Intake Officer on 9243 8806 who will be able to advise you who can assist you best to do this. 

With your permission, the contact centre will refer you to the Moonee Valley City Council Regional Assessment Outlet. One of our Assessment and Care Planning Officers will contact you to arrange a time to visit you in your home and complete a home support assessment.

Home support assessment process

As part of this assessment we will ask questions, such as:

  • what support are you currently receiving
  • whether you have any health concerns
  • how you currently get the jobs done around the home
  • how you keep safe in the home and community

We will also see how you move in and around your home. 

If you have anyone helping you at the moment, such as a family member, friend, or someone you know to be your carer, we will ask questions about:

  • what type of care they provide to you
  • whether there have been any recent changes
  • whether there are any difficulties or concerns with the current arrangements

With your permission and if this person is available, we will ask them the same questions. This helps us understand whether the support they currently provide you can continue or whether additional services or support is needed for you or the person helping you.

Next steps

We will work with you to develop a Support Plan that will help you identify your strengths and your areas of difficulty, your goals and what you want to achieve. A plan will help you and us to identify the types of support that will best suit you as you work towards achieving your goals. 

This support may be provided by government funded services, or available in the community privately. It may be things you can do yourself to meet your goals. 

If you require government funded services, we will work with you to identify the Service Provider(s) who will be able to meet your needs. We will send information to your selected service provider(s) asking them to deliver the services in line with your Support Plan. 

If we believe that you need a greater level of support, we will organise, with your permission, for you to receive a comprehensive assessment through the North West Aged Care Assessment Service.

More information

Further information about assessment and services can be found at the My Aged Care website.

The Victorian Regional Assessment Service is funded by the Australian Government and is managed in Victoria by the Victorian Government.

Last updated: Tuesday, 4 December 2018, 7:31 PM