Sale or consumption of liquor

For planning permit applications to use land for the sale and/or consumption of liquor, or to modify an existing liquor licence.

We require certain information in order to properly assess your application against the planning controls contained in the Moonee Valley Planning Scheme.

To ensure that your application can be processed quickly and efficiently, it is important that all the relevant information is included – the sale or consumption of liquor guide (pdf, 603kb) will help you do this.

Note: this is not an application for a liquor license. A liquor licence can only be issued by Consumer Affairs Victoria. However, the process requires that our regulations be met first.

Not all cases require a planning permit to use land for the sale and consumption of liquor.

If you are unsure whether you would need a planning permit, call our Statutory Planning unit on 9243 8888 or enquire in person at the Statutory Planning counter at the Civic Centre.

How to apply for a planning permit to use land for the sale and/or consumption of liquor

To apply for a permit follow these four steps:

Step 1 - complete an application for planning permit form (pdf, 295kb)

Step 2 - refer to the fee schedule

Note: the fee can only be paid by cheque or money order and must be made payable to the ‘City of Moonee Valley’.

Step 3 - prepare your application

Make sure to include all information described in the sale or consumption of liquor guide (pdf, 603kb), such as plans and a written submission.

Step 4 - lodge your completed application online or:


By post: Moonee Valley City Council
Statutory Planning unit
PO Box 126
Moonee Valley, VIC 3039
In person: At the Civic Centre
Last updated: Wednesday, 15 May 2019, 2:34 PM