Responding to an advertised planning application

A planning objection is a formal submission that opposes a planning application. Any person who feels they may be detrimentally affected by a planning application can submit an objection to Council, provided the required information is submitted before the decision date.

Council also accepts submissions in support of an application. These must be submitted in writing and will be considered alongside any objections as part of the assessment and decision-making process.

For information about planning permit applications that are currently being advertised, visit the Advertised Planning Applications page.

I want to object to or support a planning application

If you wish to object or support a Planning Application which is currently being advertised you can do this directly via Council's Advertised Statutory Planning Applications Register. Simply open the register, search tor the application you are interested in (there is a search box at the bottom of the screen), select the application and click 'submit response'.

From here, you will be prompted to enter your reasons for objecting to/supporting the application, and then to enter your name, address and contact details. If you would like to you are able to use the objection/submission form (pdf, 335KB) and upload this as an attachment to your submission.

Alternatively, you can also fill out the objection/submission form (pdf, 335KB) and email it to, via post to Moonee Valley City Council, PO Box 126 Moonee Ponds, VIC 3039 or drop it off in person at 9 Kellaway Avenue, Moonee Ponds, 

*Please note that an objection/submission is a public document, as such copies may be made available other parties including the applicant, councillors and VCAT (Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal).

What happens after I lodge an objection or letter of support for an application?

You will receive written acknowledgment either by email or post (depending on the contact details you have provided) that your submission has been received by Council. Council must take all objections and letters of support into consideration before making a decision.

Consultation Meetings

In instances where 10 or more objections* are received for an application Council may arrange a Consultation Meeting to be held prior to making its decision. Such meetings are attended by at least one Ward Councillor and a Council Planning Officer and the permit applicant and all objectors are invited to attend. They are informal meetings where both objectors and the permit applicant are given an opportunity to present their concerns/arguments concerning the proposal. It is important to note that Consultation Meetings are not a decision making tool, however, constructive negotiations between parties is encouraged. Due to time constraints, each presenter is asked to limit their presentations/discussions to no more than 5 minutes.

If a Consultation Meeting is organised for an application you have lodged or submitted an objection to you will be notified of it in writing.

*To qualify for a Consultation Meeting the objections must meet the following criteria:

  • 10 or more objections must be received from individual properties. I.e. two objections from the same address will count as one objection for this purpose.
  • For residential applications, the 10 or more objections must be from properties located within a 500 metre radius of the subject site.
  • Objections which are not based on valid planning grounds (see below) are not included.

Grounds for a valid objection

Please note that only relevant planning considerations can be considered as part of any objection. Below are some examples of objections which are not within the scope of matters that can be considered in the assessment of a planning permit application are as follows:

  • Financial detriment or devaluation of property
  • Perceived issues with the occupants of any future development (e.g. the proposed dwellings are likely to occupied by renters rather than owner occupiers)
  • The motivations for applicant/owner to proceed with a planning permit application
  • Personal grievances with applicant and or owner of any proposal
  • Aspects of a proposal which do not trigger the requirement for a planning permit (e.g. building/construction and ResCode related matters in a planning permit application where heritage is the trigger for a planning permit application).

What happens if Council decides to grant a permit?

If Council decides to grant the permit, you will be sent a Notice of Decision to Grant a Permit (NOD). As an objector you will have 21 days to lodge an application for review with the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT). If no objectors lodge a review with VCAT during this time, the planning permit will be issued. For more information on the appeals process, see the VCAT section of our website.

Additional information

For further details of the objection/support process see responding to a planning permit application: Planning Guide

Last updated: Thursday, 7 March 2019, 3:03 AM