Barking dogs

Barking is a natural behaviour for dogs, but excessive barking can annoy and cause friction between neighbours.

Speaking to your neighbour

If your neighbour's dog is barking excessively, you can try approaching them.

The owner may not realise the barking is an issue because the:

  • dog may only bark  excessively when the owner is not home
  • owner may not hear the barking from areas inside  their house

Reasons dogs bark:

  • out of boredom, loneliness or frustration
  • to seek attention
  • to alerting or warn others if it thinks a threat is present
  • out of fear
  • for medical reasons (having fleas, allergy or illness)
  • for physical reasons (feeling hot, cold, hungry or thirsty)

Ways to stop your dog barking excessively:

  • walk your dog frequently
  • make sure your dog is in good health and has fresh water, a balanced diet, dog toys and adequate shelter from weather extremes
  • take your dog to obedience classes and practice what you learn regularly
  • block the view from your property with solid fencing, shade cloth or hedging

There is also a letter to neighbours (pdf, 26.8KB) (doc, 34.5KB) you can use if you would like to let the dog owner know about the problem. If the owner agrees to do something about the barking, wait a few weeks to see if they have been successful in their efforts. Your support and ongoing feedback about the dog's behaviour can assist the dog owner in resolving the problem.

Steps to take if you have a problem with nuisance barking

If you have an issue with a barking dog:

  • Speak with your neighbour. This may resolve the issue without any further action.
  • The Dispute Settlement Centre of Victoria provides free legal advice to assist with resolving neighbourhood complaints.
  • If you are unable to speak with your neighbour you can lodge a complaint with our Animal Management team. To lodge a complaint you must:
    • Complete a log (pdf, 190KB) (doc, 1.81KB) of the times and duration of the barking. The log needs to be maintained for 14 days so that the Animal Management Officer can investigate the complaint and returned to Council within 7 days of completion.
    • Provide your name and address
    • Provide the address where the dog lives;
    • Note the effect the barking has on your well-being.

The above details can then be sent to Moonee Valley Council, PO Box 126 Moonee Ponds Vic 3039, emailed to or faxed to 9377 2100.

Last updated: Saturday, 15 June 2019, 7:25 AM