Noise complaints

Property owners and tenants are responsible for making sure that activities on their property do not have a negative impact on their neighbours.

Noise nuisance

For information on what is considered to be unreasonable noise, read the Environment Protection (Residential Noise) Regulations 2008.

Reporting a noise nuisance

We suggest you speak to the person causing the noise first. Often people don’t realise they are disturbing their neighbours and the issue can often be resolved quickly.

If this does not work, you may consider approaching the appropriate authority to help.

Authority Type of noise Contact Number
Environment Protection Authority (EPA)  Noise from homes, music noise from licensed premises, noise from industrial premises. 1300 372 842
Victoria Police Residential noise occurring outside business hours, noise from licensed venues including, noise from patrons outside an entertainment venue and music noise.   000 
Council* Noise from residential premises including, barking dogs and noise from businesses. Make a noise complaint online. 9243 8888

*During business hours only.

Police and Councils have the authority to enforce the EPA regulations. Visit the EPA website for further information.

Investigating and resolving noise concerns

We can also investigate your noise concern as a nuisance under the Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008.

If you need mediation, the Dispute Settlement Centre of Victoria is a free and confidential service that helps resolve noise problems using mediation to help people settle their disputes.

The mediation process relies on both parties involved in the dispute to be willing to discuss the problem with an independent mediator.

More information

For more information on handling neighbourhood nuisances, call our Environmental Health unit on 9243 8888.

Last updated: Saturday, 15 June 2019, 8:45 PM