Stormwater drainage

Our stormwater drains and pits are programmed for ongoing cleaning and maintenance throughout the year.

There are also approximately 20km of main drains in Moonee Valley that are the sole responsibility of Melbourne Water. Additionally, Melbourne Water is responsible for the maintenance of the beds and banks of the Maribyrnong River, Moonee Ponds Creek and the lower section of Steele Creek.

Who is responsible for stormwater drainage on my property?

All household stormwater drains, including maintenance, are the responsibility of the property owner. This means the section of drainage that lies within the property boundaries and up to the connection to our drainage system, is the owner's responsibility.

We are responsible from the legal point of discharge. The legal point of discharge is the drain connection at the point where the water from the property reaches a Council drain, kerb and channel gutter or constructed Right of Way.

We are responsible for stormwater easement drains in private properties, provided they meet certain design and construction requirements.

Who is responsible for sewer drains?

City West Water is responsible for the maintenance of sewer and water supply within the City.

Reporting a drainage problem

You can report a problem with a Council stormwater drain or pit by calling making a online service request or calling us on 9243 8888.

Where is my stormwater going?

Apply for a Legal Point of Discharge to find out where your stormwater goes.

Want to know more?

For more information on main drains and sewer drains contact:

    Main drains
    Melbourne Water
    Call: 9235 2100 

    Sewer and water supply 
    City West Water
    Call: 131 691

    Property sewer plans 
    Casey Inspection Services
    Call: 9809 0250

Last updated: Sunday, 9 June 2019, 7:56 PM